Friday, June 22, 2012

Blueberry Crumb Muffins

Sarabeth's Bakery: Recipe 2
Sarabeth brings fresh stalies back with Blueberry Crumb Muffins. These muffins are dry, which I picked up on when mixing the batter. So I added a little more liquid to the mix. The blueberries didn’t really want to integrate with the batter (maybe they knew of their unfortunate fate). Having made plenty of muffins in the past, and being a pretty good baker, I knew this recipe was not going to succeed. But just in case I was wrong, I baked these muffins per Sarabeth’s instruction, and what I got a was a dry muffin with only-ok streusel that didn’t adhere well. What’s more (or less) was that the muffins had very little flavor. Maybe even not enough sugar. Streusel aside, here’s what’s flavoring the muffins: orange juice and zest, and blueberries. The rest of the recipe was egg, oil, milk, flour, baking powder and salt. Perhaps these muffins suffered from using bread flour? Why did you call for bread flour, Sarabeth? Bread flour is known to be used for results more dense and chewy. Dense and chewy muffin? Crunchy chocolate chip cookies? I’m starting to think I can’t trust you.

No comments:

Post a Comment