Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Creamy, Cheesy, Garlicky Rice with Spinach


Dorie Greenspan: Around My French Table: Recipe 6

Dorie introduces this recipe talking about risotto and warns not to order risotto in France because it will not really be risotto, but rather some approximation of it.  I have a pretty high success rate with making risottos and have never been of the mind that the continual stirring was a drawback. Plus, spinach is available at the farmers market so I thought I’d give this recipe a try.  Dorie suggests it serves 4 as a side or 2 as a main.  I made it for two as a main, but I wouldn’t do that again- this is more of a side.  You don’t want to eat a whole bowl of this. It gets monotonous and is not warm and comforting like risotto.  That said the recipe works in that the taste is good and the flavor combinations are a success.  The spinach is the standout flavor and the cheese, which seemed like much too much, is not overpowering, but complimentary.  A Swiss was called for and I used Emmentaler. The rice, onions, garlic, spinach and cheese were thinned out (if you can say that) with heavy cream.  One problem with the recipe was that Dorie has you cooking 1 cup of the rice in 3 ¼ cups chicken broth.  My rice was overcooked before it came close to absorbing all that liquid.  The rice was still salvageable and I had to strain the remaining broth out.  If I were to make this again, I’d start with 2 cups broth and keep a close eye on the absorption.  But I probably won’t be making this again.  Why?  Risotto tastes better, is cheaper, more comforting, and seemingly healthier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment