Monday, June 11, 2012

Asparagus and Lemon Risotto

Alice Waters: The Art of Simple Food; Day 8; Recipe 13
Making this risotto might be considered cheating because I had made it before we started this project.  But  I had raised the issue well in advance- can we make a recipe we've already made?  We decided that yes, we can because we'll learn something new about making it a second time and we can see how well it holds up that second time.  Luckily, i knew ahead of time what I was in for with this recipe.  Not that it was difficult to make, but I had worked 2 hours overtime today and working overtime can mess with your cognitive functions, especially if you've had way under your calorie allotment for the day already.  My lunches are usually so skimpy that I am in major need of eating dinner within 30-60 minutes of getting home (I start cooking every night about 5 minutes after i get home from work).  So instead of dinner at the usual 5:30-6:30 slot, I didn't get to sit down to eat until 8:36.  Like with any asparagus risotto, I added more asparagus than called for because it effects the rice/vegetable ratio more than the flavor, and the more vegetables, often the better.  I also added more parmesan (grana padano, really) and more lemon juice.  I've never had anything that became worse with more lemon juice.  There aren't a lot of tricks here, it's a straightforward recipe that works well and delivers on taste. I've tried making maybe 4 different asparagus risottos so far, and this ranks at my #2 spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment