Friday, June 15, 2012

Cheese and Pasta Gratin

Alice Waters: The Art of Simple Food; Day 12; Recipe 17
Otherwise known as macaroni and cheese.  This was a simple concoction of fusilli, a roux, cheese, and breadcrumbs.  However, Alice Waters leaves the choice of cheese up to you, warning against mozzarella and blue cheeses.  The reason I decided to make this tonight was because I needed to use up  both milk and cheese that had been around for a little while.  The cheese ended up being 3/4 comte and 1/4 Kirkham's Lancashire.  I know that I shouldn't be wasting a $30 per pound cheese on a dish like this, but it saved me from spending money on another cheese.  I have to say that the gratin came out really well, cooked well, not oily or fatty, but it did not have enough cheese flavor.  However, I think that was because of the cheeses I used.  They just didn't bring enough oomph.  I would definitely try this recipe again, but using stronger-flavored cheese.  It gets macaroni and cheese right.

No comments:

Post a Comment