Saturday, June 16, 2012

Pan-Fried White Bass with Lemon Sauce

Alice Waters: The Art of Simple Food; Day 13; Recipe 18
The recipe calls for Striped Bass, but when I got to the fish counter at Whole Foods, there was none available, and my "fishmonger," Jordon, who has a tendency to cut more fish than I ask for (I will have to learn how to say no), suggested White Bass instead (wild caught off the coast of California). With no back-up dinner plan, I submitted to his suggestion.  Cooking the fish was uncomplicated and, surprisingly, I managed to cook it perfectly.  The lemon sauce contained both juice and zest, as well as olive oil, salt, and pepper.  It was a good accompaniment to the fish.  Finally, there was an optional garnish of cilantro, which I added and was pleased that I did.  Despite the fact that I cooked the fish perfectly and liked the sauce, the recipe failed to impress.  The bass itself tasted fairly mundane and the fish did not improve enough with perfect execution of the recipe.  (Maybe had I found striped bass instead?) The Green Pea and Asparagus Ragout that I made a few days ago made a comeback tonight.  It is a good excuse to keep eating these vegetables while they are in season, but, unfortunately, this side also is not the kind of thing one craves. I can see us coming back to this once or twice a year.

No comments:

Post a Comment