Saturday, June 9, 2012

Steamed Sole with Beurre Blanc + Green Pea and Asparagus Ragout

Alice Waters: The Art of Simple Food; Day 6; Recipes 9-11
Today we had three recipes, one meal.  It hadn't occurred to me that in order to steam the sole i would need a steamer.  Usually I am excellent about reading and re-reading a recipe two, three, or even more times before executing, but somehow the implications of steaming a piece of fish slipped past me.  I persevered with a makeshift steamer involving a colander over boiling water.  I do not recommend this method.  That is not to say i was unable to cook the fish properly, in fact, it came out quite moist and tender.  However, as evidenced in the photo, the fish did not stay intact upon trying to remove it from the colander, so instead of a nice filet of sole, it plated as a pile of sole pieces, buried under beurre blanc (that's tarragon sprinkled on top).  It was actually good tasting, and i recognize that i can't draw conclusions about this recipe, as i had my steaming issues (i expect someone else following the same recipe might turn out a better dish) but i can say that though good, it wasn't good enough to make us want to return to it.  But what we would return to was the Green Pea and Asparagus Ragout.  This also had spring onions in it and just a little bit of butter.  I like all the ingredients involved, but I didn't have high hopes for this recipe.  It was surprisingly good and i would like this as a regular side dish in the springtime.  This recipe is simple food at its best. A Keeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment