Monday, September 3, 2012

Andrew Carmellini's Bow Tie Pasta with Tomato, Arugula, and Mozzarella

Café Boulud Cookbook: Recipe 5
This was a mistake.  I should have known better.  I had such poor results with the Urban Italian cookbook, why would I take on another Carmellini recipe?  Is his food better under the wing of Daniel Boulud?  No.  As a side note, however, this is not to say I wouldn't go to his restaurants, I just can't trust him to write a recipe for the home cooking audience.  That said, this did not come together, quite literally.  Boulud praises the sauce, says that that is what this dish is all about, but it was not special and  it was not even that good.  The small bow ties did not hold the loose sauce well at all, and I had to think the sauce should have been thicker, but it doesn't stay on the stove very long.  Too much olive oil is used throughout the recipe which I think adds to the loose consistency. You add the cooked pasta to the sauce and then, after plating or bowling, add the cherry tomatoes, arugula, and mozzarella on top of it.  This is not what I call a recipe.  This is what I call making pasta and putting things on it.  It tasted fine, but only just that and I had a difficult time finishing my portion.  Glad there were no leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment