Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Sage and Butternut Squash Risotto

Alice Waters: Chez Panisse Vegetables
Made this on October 7th and am running with my earlier Alice Waters theme, even though this is not from The Art of Simple Food.  This might have been more accurately named Butternut Squash Risotto with sage, but no matter, because it’s a winner.  It’s creamy, flavorful, and hits the spot.  I made it twice within 10 days.  It’s very simple to make as well and requires few ingredients- squash, sage, butter, broth, parmesan cheese, white wine, risotto rice.  This will become a regular autumn staple, I can see it now.  Thanks, Alice.

Update 2/15/13:  I make this about once every ten days now.  It is so easy that when I out of food and dinner ideas this is almost always something I can and do easily whip up (that's a one-hour whip-up, which is about how long I usually spend making dinner).  I almost never have sage in the house but I somehow always manage to have thyme and the thyme has been my go-to herb for this recipe.  I have no crispy fried thyme to replace the crispy fried sage that sits atop the risotto (see photo), but no matter, it's tasty anyway.  Just put in the amount of thyme that seems right to you.  I put in about a tablespoon or so during different stages of the cooking process. 

No comments:

Post a Comment